Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Meet My Bead Soup Partner...Pia Kaven!

Hi all!  Long time no post!



I am participating in the 2013 Bead Soup Blog Party - 2nd reveal, coming up on April 6th!  This is the 7th Party and I am proud to say I have participated in all of them!  My partner this year is talented lampwork artist Pia Kaven. Not only does she create gorgeous beads, she also created this awesome "cookbook" for using murrini!

After exchanging emails and addresses, Pia sent me a few questions to answer to include on her blog and so I thought it would be fun to get her to do the same for me!

Where and how do you live? 
     I live in Plano TX with my husband, cat and three small dogs. 

What started you with the creative path? 
     I grew up in Finland where you have arts and crafts already in school. I am able to make my clothes, crochet and knit, I am able to do some woodworking and using tools. However I doubted my creativity after high school and went to college to be a nurse. After few years of working as a nurse I realized that I was unhappy and wanted to do something creative after all. So I started studying arts, first painting and then glass blowing. The glass work has evolved and started to include some metal work mainly in a form of jewelry designing. I still have difficulties sticking to one thing and keep sidetracking and doing this and that. I have always so many projects going on that it takes sometimes a long time from one to finish.

What did you want to be when you were 12 years old? 
     I have always loved animals and I most likely wanted to be dolphin trainer (tough job in Finland where there aren't any dolphins) or orangutan researcher in Borneo. I also was interested in singing and acting, though my singing still has room for improvement. 

Where would you want to be in 10 years, or what would you like from your life to be like in 10 years? 
     I would love to be retired, live in a beautiful setting, either close to water or mountains or ideally both. Warm climate is preferred and I would love to devote my time for my little family, for animals and for my art.
What is your favorite media? 
     Glass and metal definitely, though I never overlook a media, I really like trying everything possible and use what ever feels right at any given time.

What inspires you? 
     Nature and Scandinavian design. I love organic lines, but also simple clean form pleases my eyes. And I love browsing other artists work and I take little bits and pieces that I love from their work and use them as my inspiration.

Take a gander at the gorgeous lampwork set she created for me!


I already have sketches and a plan for at least 3 pieces out of this soup.  She was nervous that she didn't send enough!

Now, here is the soup I sent her. I am pretty proud of the focal and clasp, as they are both fabricated by me!


Be sure to go over and check in on Pia's blog...she will be posting my answers to the questions soon!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! That lampwork she made for you is just stunning! Look at the variances of color! You lucky lady! And your focal is absolutely amazing! That copper just turned to gold in my book! Fantastic soups...both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by all the blogs taking part in the bead soup blog party. Cant wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...