Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day...

Took a day off my day job on Friday, so we have had a glorious 4-day weekend! 

Friday I got up and took B to school, let J sleep, and worked in my studio (dark, dank basement) enameling and soldering and playing.  It was fabulous...will do a show and tell later.

Saturday, we made an impromptu decision to go visit J's "Pop" at Arlington Memorial Cemetary.  Primitivo Mabborang Meman, 1910 - 1996, was born and raised in the Philippines. He joined the US Navy and served in World War II and Korea...he was a Pearl Harbor survivor.



We were happy to see that all the stones had gotten their Memorial flag...it was quite a sight to see the rows and rows of head stones decorated with the red, white and blue!


B has on his game face...his dad and I reminded him to be respectful at all times and he took us seriously...my boy!

Since we were in the area, we decided to go to visit the Pentagon Memorial, honoring the 184 victims of the crash of American Airlines flight 77 into the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.  It was a beautiful day and the water in the little reflecting pools under the benches was sparkling in the sun and reflecting up onto the metal above...very moving.


Today we are celebrating J's 54th birthday!  We went to the pool this afternoon, and will be having birthday cake and ice cream later, along with a few adult beverages, I envision.  That is, if the cake hasn't completely fallen apart...J asked for German Chocolate cake, with the pecan and coconut frosting.  I made it, but I did a half & half...using chocolate frosting for 1 half.  The chocolate side is fine, but the pecan and coconut side keeps sliding off the cake.  I think I am just going to scrape it all off and serve it in a bowl on the side!

How about you...how is/was your Memorial Day?


4 comments:

  1. When I was a girl, Memoriral Day always involved a trip to the cemetary to visit our loved ones who had gone and place flowers on their graves. I think it is important to remember and give respect.

    Happy birthday! I'll take my coconut pecan frosting any way you see fit to serve it. It's the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moving experience for your family. Viewing military memorials always pulls at my heart. What a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memorial day is really a great event. Here in Germany the people usually forget about the sacrifices our soldiers made for us.That's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special visit - your Father in Law must have been an incredible man with many stories to tell. These are great photos, Melissa. Your little guy is such a sweetie. I hope the birthday party was a fun - that cake sound so yummy (German chocolate is right up my alley!).

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...