Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Fever!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Going to go home after work and make some fun Irish food...Dublin Coddle with bacon, sausage, potatoes and cabbage; Irish Soda Bread, and some yummy "black and tans" made with Guinness Stout and Bass Ale!
I don't like keeping you posted only once a week, but sometimes that is the trend.  A lot has happened since I posted last week!

This,
this,
this,
this :)
B getting his Webelos markings :)
this,
my 1st attempts at etching...projects to come!
and wow, this!
Results from Sunday's Pipe Dreams workshop
I signed up for Stephanie Lee's Homesteading Metalsmithing class this past fall...watched all the videos and read the blog.  Never. made. anything.  Well, I did make a mess!  Flooded - oops, tried to flood one base piece and could not handle the truth!  Plus, it was close to the holidays and there was just too much going on with the fam..remember, I have a 9-year old honeyface to love/support/ raise!

Fast forward to 2011, Jeanette and Cindy at Artbliss announce Stephanie Lee and Metal Magic as their Spring Act!! Hello, my name is written all over it, but alas, the 4-day workshop just wasn't in my budget or schedule.  Thursday and Friday was the Handbook of Elements class which looked scrumptious, but I knew that wasn't in my cards.  Saturday and Sunday might be more doable with Pipe Dreams - a class Stephanie had never taught before.  Hmm, still a bit steep for a working girl!  Yay, Artbliss announces that there will be 2 weekend classes!  Junk Drawer Metalsmithing (similar to what was offered during Homesteading) and Pipe Dreams for 1 day on Sunday!  Hallelujah, a solution!  So, with my schedule already filled with my boy's Blue and Gold CubScouts Banquet on Saturday, I signed up for Pipe Dreams!  It was great!  I absolutely loved it!  Stephanie was a totally gracious teacher who made you feel like you had known each other forever!  Not only did I succeed in creating 3 cool soldered/embellished pieces, when I got home, I tried some of the Homesteading techniques that I had previously bombed at and was pleasantly surprised how much more I actually took home with me!

funky soldered-tip headpins, a length of chain, and my 1st soldered bezel
As a bonus, I got to put faces to some new blogging friends Erin and Sandi and see old friends Jeanette, Cindy and Lori.  I was totally into my art and didn't take a single photo of anything or anybody, but please go to these folks blogs that I have linked and take a look!

the beginnings of a necklace!


12 comments:

  1. Astoundingly cool stuff! So glad you got to go!

    Happy Spring (almost),

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're doing some cool stuff! I was at the opera all day, so I've got corned beef and veggies in my crock pot... amazing smell to arrive home to. Slainte!!! {"Cheers!" I just looked that up ;-)}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomeness! I love your pipes. They are going to be so cool when you add your enamel! I am so super inspired to go out and buy a boatload of new tools and fun things, but I have other things that have to be attended to. Once I walk into Lowe's I know I won't be able to hold myself back! They better have all the things I need or I am going to send Stephanie a note ;-)

    I enjoyed meeting you so much Melissa. Thanks for sharing a table with me!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Stephanie's work! Wish I could have made the workshop. And etching too? You've been a busy girl.
    Can't wait to see your finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Melissa! I'm glad you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, I made a few "Irish" dishes as well today but this time unfortunately my Irish Soda bread did not turn out. :-(
    I was SO happy to see you, however brief, on Sunday! Your pipe pendants turned out sooooo amazingly fantastic. And it looks like a beautiful new necklace is already in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, that looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melissa, couldn't find a contact or email button anywhere. My email address is: ritazart at gmail dot com

    I am so excited about winning your bracelet!!!!! I hope I'm not too late. Thanks so much. I will send my address as soon as I have somewhere to send it. Thanks sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa the pipe dreams pieces are fantastic! I have been away and just catching up, wish i could have been at artbliss this time too, looks like everyone had fun! My daughter's birthday is St. patty's day so i was baking cake but would love some irish soda bread, will have to make plans to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Etching looks good! Cool pieces~I'm having lots of fun with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goos mix of many textures and metals.The beads and the metals all together look very beautiful.Rustic in all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pipe beads are really cool!! Like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...