Tuesday, April 1, 2008

About Me

Hi! I am Melissa...a 50 year old wife, mother, jewelry designer, singer, cook, project administrator, gardener, girl/woman, living in beautiful Frederick, Maryland with my fabulous husband (the man) and sweet 6.5 yo son (the boy)


I grew up in a small rural, southern town and am the "baby" of five children.  My mother was of the  stay-at-home variety.  She made most of  our clothes (and many other things) by hand.  Our father was a house-painter, but also a farmer and we lived off the land as much as possible.  My sisters and I have always been involved in some craft or project for as long as I remember...I think my first endeavor was crocheting which I still love!  


My Jewelry Design Passion


My mission is to create "one-of-a-kind" and sometimes limited edition designs with a unique, eclectic flair. I love beads, especially unusual gemstones and earthy semi-precious stones.  I am in love with wire-work...weaving, coiling, wrapping and am working on some new techniques as we speak that I hope will be evident in my newest designs.  I like "wrapped" links, not only for its beauty and versatility, but also for its strength and durability.  


I have also been making rosaries for about 3-4 years now, and while I am not Catholic, I really get a great deal spiritually from creating them.  I sing professionally in a Catholic church, and several years ago, had a colleague approach me about creating one.  I did some research, decided to use my triple-wrapped loops instead of the traditional rosary loop, and the rest is history! 


Here's a little known fact about me to those of you in blog land...I have a Bachelors and Masters Degree in Vocal Performance and Opera!  Singing is definitely my first love and while I have extremely eclectic musical tastes, classical, liturgical, and opera are part of who I am.  I sang in the chorus of a couple of local opera companies until the boy was born, then I decided to make him my priority.  I am content now being able to sing wonderful masses and other cool music at my 'church gig'.  In the secular arena, you might find me listening to Cassandra Wilson, Joni Mitchell (old and new), Alison Kraus, Loretta Lynn, Maroon 5, Red Hot Chilis, Evanescence, my hubby (jazz sax, flute & guitar), and the list goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...